Tired of not knowing what exactly goes into your household cleaners? Me too! So, when I came across this recipe for a DIY all-purpose cleaner with only TWO ingredients (that I could easily pronounce and spell), I was sold. I had to try it, and now, I must share it.
Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- Glass Jar / Container
- White Vinegar
- Citrus Fruit Peels (oranges / lemons / grapefruits / limes)
- Spray Bottle (chemical resistant)
- *Herbs: mint / rosemary / lavender
- *Paper towel / Coffee filter
Here’s what you’ve gotta do:
1. Gather your leftover citrus peels and use a spoon to scrape away at all the
remaining pulpy, fruity goodness from the peels.
2. Place peels into a glass jar. Pour white vinegar over the peels until peels are completely submerged. Opt to add some herbs in with your peels to further push back that strong vinegar stench. Mint pairs well with limes; rosemary with oranges; and lavender with your lemons.
3. Seal the glass jar with the lid, and store it in a cool, dark place for one week. Feel free to give your mixture a sniff test over the next couple of days to make sure that you’re happy with the fragrance.
4. One week later… Tada! Your fusion should be ready for transfer. Grab your spray bottle, funnel, and (if you’d like) a paper towel or coffee filter. Place the funnel on top of your spray bottle, and if you fancy, an added filter in your funnel (paper towel/filter) to catch your peels/herbs. Pour your mix into your spray bottle. If the final potion is a little too strong for your liking, you can always pour your citrus vinegar half way, and then add another 50% of water to dilute the solution.
Not sure what to do with your leftover peels and herbs at the top? Give them a good squeeze for good measure, before tossing them into the compost.
5. Seal and store in a cool, dark space, away from direct sunlight until you’re ready to spray and slay. (Gentle note: This cleaner is not for use on natural stone, aluminium, or cast iron.)
There you have it, folks! The world’s simplest ingredients for the safest all-purpose household cleaner. Say goodbye to wincing every time your toddler licks the floor. Seriously though, one of the best things about this homemade brew is that it’s completely baby safe. Hallelujah!
Go ahead and spread the word to all those mama friends who you want to try this DIY project with.
This also makes for a great practical, low-cost, homemade baby shower activity (staying clean, COVID style).